Shipdham youngster James opens up his season with a win
- Credit: Archant
Shipdham racing driver James Hillery started his season's campaign with a win in the BRSCC Fiesta Junior Championship.
Fifteen-year-old James, who has been racing karts since the age of six, started the weekend at Brands Hatch as one of the favourites to win the coveted championship.
Qualifying in second position on the grid at turn one James fell back to third place but as his tyres came on he picked his way to the front, taking the chequered flag.
In race two an incident at turn one pushed James back into third position and, with his tyres going off, he was unable to better that position.
James's father Terry said: 'To have a first and a third on the first weekend of the championship was fantastic and the Hillwood Motorsport boss Mark Woodwiss said the team worked so well in preparing the car and the set-up was spot on.'
You may also want to watch:
James now moves onto Cadwell Park for round two of the championship on the weekend of May 6 and 7.
- 1 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
- 2 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 3 IN PICTURES: Flying Scotsman in all its glory on the Mid Norfolk Railway
- 4 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 5 How to see the Flying Scotsman in Norfolk this October
- 6 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 7 Stunning footage shows Flying Scotsman arriving at Mid Norfolk Railway
- 8 Bone found on beach by Callum, 9, may have been from a woolly rhino
- 9 Two new dates announced after Flying Scotsman's Norfolk visit sells out
- 10 Care home reaches final of disability and autism awards