Six of the best from victorious Mattishall
Mattishall 2, Wymondham Town 0
Mattishall made it six league wins in a row when they overcame a resilient Wymondham Town in the Anglian Combination Premier Division on Saturday.
The first half was very even with both sides having chances and both goalkeepers had to very alert. Powley in the home goal made one very good save and Gary Harbour went close for the home side as the opening period remained goalless.
The deadlock was broken after nine minutes of the second half when Ben McCann fed Gary Harbour, whose first time cross was swept into the net by Alex Fitzgerald.
A free kick by Jake Anema went just wide of the post minutes later.
Wymondham were still in the game and came close on 25 minutes with a shot going just wide, but the home side increased their lead on 28 minutes when across from the right saw Fitzgerald score.
Fitzgerald nearly completed his hat-trick with five minutes left but was denied by the keeper.
- 1 A47 reopens after it was closed for six hours due to crash
- 2 'You've got to diversify' - cafe and gallery owner braves expansion
- 3 A trip to the fair helps Norfolk man remember
- 4 Village pub reopens for the first time in four years
- 5 A47 clears following long delays after four-vehicle crash
- 6 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 7 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk today
- 8 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 9 Queen's Jubilee: All the events happening in the Dereham area
- 10 'Some haven't had a cut since Covid' - hairdresser on growing challenges
The win saw Mattishall remain at the top of the table, three points ahead of Cromer, who had their game on Tuesday night postponed.
Mattishall were due to play North Walsham last night, before travelling to Wroxham Reserves on Saturday.
n Mattishall Reserves lost 5-1 at Mulbarton Wanderers on Saturday in Anglian Combination Division Four.
Their previous match saw them draw 1-1 with Long Stratton Reserves. Mattishall fell a goal behind but Mark Armes struck an immediate equaliser.
n Mattishall A inflicted a heavy defeat on Narborough Reserves for the second week running.
Having beaten the same side 8-0 the week before, Mattishall produced another demolition job on Saturday to win 5-0.
The first 30 minutes of the game was very scrappy on a poor pitch with Mattishall unable to find any rhythm.
The deadlock was broken when Keiran Dalton headed in a Joe Gaston corner. Two further goals were added before half-time by Glen White and a superb shot from 25 yards by Nathan Gosling.
The second half was one-way traffic with Mattishall having numerous chances and they increased the lead when Scott Taylor scored from a narrow angle. A second goal from White completed the rout. The win saw Mattishall move up to second in Central & South Norfolk League Division Three.
The previous thrashing of Narborough Reserves saw goals from Kieron Delaney (3), Ryan Richards (2), Glen White, Joe Gaston and Matthew Raby.