Smith completes a Dereham double
Dereham Town FC rounded off their superb season with their presentation night at which Adam Smith completed a double.He added the Player of the Year award to the Supporters' PoY accolade he received earlier.
Dereham Town FC rounded off their superb season with their presentation night at which Adam Smith completed a double.
He added the Player of the Year award to the Supporters' PoY accolade he received earlier.
Sam Groves was the Dereham Reserves' PoY, Jay Eastoe-Smith being voted best young player and Ray Bayles the clubman of the year.
Tiptree 0, Dereham Town 2
- 1 Man injured teen with catapult after supermarket row
- 2 Four vehicles, including lorry, involved in 'serious crash' on A1067
- 3 Volunteer exodus puts future of beloved windmill under threat
- 4 Schools in Norfolk face classroom closures due to coronavirus
- 5 Town centre set to welcome vegan street food truck
- 6 Huge solar farm proposed near Roman site
- 7 What the average UK house price can buy you in Norfolk's towns
- 8 Decision over funding for Queen Mother's Garden revamp delayed
- 9 Revealed: The 20 areas of Norfolk 'regularly at risk of flooding'
- 10 Father accused of baby murder blamed car seat for bruise
Dereham matched last season's best ever league finish of fourth place and are Norfolk's highest-placed Ridgeon's League club.
In the last match of the season Tiptree failed to score at home for the first time in the league this campaign.
Matt Henman made two changes to the Dereham side with Sam Willis replacing the injured Craig Terrington and Dan Buhlemann coming in for Ben Furlong.
Dereham's first chance came after 11 minutes when they were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box. But Underwood blocked Beaumont's effort for a corner. The next shot on target was on 20 minutes when Sam Willis fired a low shot at Belcher. The same player had an identical effort five minutes later when his low drive was again saved after some good build-up play.
Dereham were dominating play and on 33 minutes and end-to-end move resulted in tricky winger Howell firing a snap shot over the Tiptree bar.
Dereham took the lead on 36 minutes, when out of nothing a through-ball found Howell who beat Saunders for pace and crossed for Adam Smith to head past Belcher.
The Magpies grasped the initiative with their second goal five minutes into the half. Fine skill from Smith inside the Tiptree half was followed by an even better far-post cross and Graham Barrett guided a volley into the net.
In time added on, Dereham could have made it three when Atkins outpaced Shade and drove his shot against an upright.