Smith completes a Dereham double
Dereham Town FC rounded off their superb season with their presentation night at which Adam Smith completed a double.He added the Player of the Year award to the Supporters' PoY accolade he received earlier.
Dereham Town FC rounded off their superb season with their presentation night at which Adam Smith completed a double.
He added the Player of the Year award to the Supporters' PoY accolade he received earlier.
Sam Groves was the Dereham Reserves' PoY, Jay Eastoe-Smith being voted best young player and Ray Bayles the clubman of the year.
You may also want to watch:
Tiptree 0, Dereham Town 2
- 1 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 2 Mid Norfolk MP George Freeman returns to government
- 3 Delays on the A47 after crash
- 4 One in eight Breckland adults yet to receive Covid vaccine
- 5 Three marathons in three weekends - Dereham runner's amazing charity effort
- 6 Hairdresser in contention for prestigious industry award
- 7 Enhanced play area unveiled following £23,000 revamp
- 8 Delays on A47 after crash involving lorry
- 9 Dereham Golf Club full of pride after juniors represent Norfolk
- 10 Parts of Norfolk at risk of heavy downpours
Dereham matched last season's best ever league finish of fourth place and are Norfolk's highest-placed Ridgeon's League club.
In the last match of the season Tiptree failed to score at home for the first time in the league this campaign.
Matt Henman made two changes to the Dereham side with Sam Willis replacing the injured Craig Terrington and Dan Buhlemann coming in for Ben Furlong.
Dereham's first chance came after 11 minutes when they were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box. But Underwood blocked Beaumont's effort for a corner. The next shot on target was on 20 minutes when Sam Willis fired a low shot at Belcher. The same player had an identical effort five minutes later when his low drive was again saved after some good build-up play.
Dereham were dominating play and on 33 minutes and end-to-end move resulted in tricky winger Howell firing a snap shot over the Tiptree bar.
Dereham took the lead on 36 minutes, when out of nothing a through-ball found Howell who beat Saunders for pace and crossed for Adam Smith to head past Belcher.
The Magpies grasped the initiative with their second goal five minutes into the half. Fine skill from Smith inside the Tiptree half was followed by an even better far-post cross and Graham Barrett guided a volley into the net.
In time added on, Dereham could have made it three when Atkins outpaced Shade and drove his shot against an upright.