Stearman leads Dereham Road Runners’ challenge on the prom
- Credit: Archant
Dereham Runners again made a strong showing in the third and final Great Yarmouth five mile race last week.
Jake Stearman crossed the line in seventh place in under 28 minutes while Carol Devlin was the first female finisher in her age category (F50-54).
In all 18 Dereham Runners' members took part in the evening run, which formed part of the annual Leathes Prior Grand Prix series.
Stearman powered around the flat promenade course in 27.48 followed by Ed Turner (30.22), Stephen Lee (31.53), Daniel Roberts (32.18), Lacey Bareham (back from injury in a rapid 33.09), Elizabeth Daly (33.15), Carol Devlin (33.56), Andrew Hood (34.53), James Nice (36.09), Emma Potter-Campbell (36.10), Grace Bird (37.06), Ryan Middleton (38.59), Philip Websdale (39.20), Toni Tarrant (42.46), David Olley (43.30), Amanda Baker (47.34), Paula Olley (47.40) and Hazel Cason (52.50).
The current male course record for the event is 25:17 while the female course record is 28:34. For full details on the series visit www.gyrr.co.uk
The indefatigable Ian Odgers ran not one but two marathons on Saturday, bringing his total this year alone to 25.
The first superheated test of endurance began in Kent at Gravesend at 9am and the second was at Walton-on-Thames in nearby Surrey at 4pm, with both completed in a combined time of just under 11 hours.
- 1 Social club to host beer festival in memory of beloved former chairman
- 2 Dereham barbershop named as one of UK's top 20
- 3 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 4 Ex-military police officer elected as Dereham's new mayor
- 5 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 6 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Magpies moved to Midlands league for 2022/23 season
- 9 Dereham boss ignoring favourites tag ahead of cup final
- 10 Heritage railway plans running days to celebrate Queen's Jubilee
On Bank Holiday Monday sisters Sally Lee and Louise Juby ran the Vitality 10k around Central London, with Lee finishing in 50.35 and Juby notching up a new personal best of 41.58.
Meanwhile Dereham Runners are set to host another 'Fit For 5k' course for beginners ahead of the popular Dereham Town 5k run on August 20, which last year attracted more than 350 runners.
This year's programme begins on June 19 and will consist of 16 evening training sessions held over eight weeks at Scarning playing field on Dereham Road.
Entry is £25 and covers personal instruction, your own training records to keep and complimentary entry into the race in August.
Anyone interested in signing up can do so via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the Dereham Fit For 5K page on Facebook (facebook.com/fitfor5k).