Swanton Morley break Sunday jinx
SWANTON Morley beat Cringleford in their first Mid Norfolk Sunday League game to end a losing streak which lasted the whole of last season in that league.
Cringleford elected to bat first, and looked to post a large total under the sun.
Swanton's teenage opening bowling pair of Oli Hood and Jordan Mustard kept a tight lid on the innings, taking wickets with consecutive deliveries to restrict Cringleford to 29 for two after 10 overs.
But the first-change bowlers had the attack taken to them. Dan Bowman's first nine balls conceded more runs then either of the opening bowlers' spells. Then, Bowman began to find his line and devastating form, taking five for 41. With the other bowlers chipping in with wickets, backed up by excellent ground fielding, Swanton restricted the innings to 126 all out.
Swanton's chase saw Sorin Gautlett failing in the second over.
You may also want to watch:
However, Duncan Appleby and Daniel Lake steadied the ship, putting on over 50 before Lake was struck on the elbow by a full toss and had to retire hurt.
Young Callum Crompton fell quickly, then captain Duncan Appleby (58 not out) and vice-captain Dan Bowman (28 not out) ensured the team made it through the rest of the innings with a partnership of 66.
- 1 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 2 Man in 80s from Norfolk found not guilty of historic sexual offences
- 3 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 4 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 5 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 6 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 7 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
- 8 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 9 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 10 Revisit the industrial heritage in the heart of Norfolk
Bowman struck the winning boundary in the 30th over, earning Swanton's long wait for a Sunday league win.
Dan Bowman was named man of the match for his devastating five wickets and for his contribution with the bat.