Women's football team aims for glory at Wembley
- Credit: Supplied by Paul Sandford
Members of a women's football team from Dereham have their eyes set on Wembley in the BT Sport National Pub Cup.
The Tavern Ladies team, which plays in the Norfolk Women and Girls Football League Division 1, are taking part in a tournament at Bisham Abbey National Sports Centre near London on July 25 along with seven other teams sponsored by pubs from around southern England.
Paul Sandford, landlord of sponsor the Railway Tavern in Yaxham Road, said, if successful, the team would go on to take on the best side from the north in a final at Wembley on August 8.
Mr Sandford said he was proud of what the team - coached by John Vincent - had achieved over the past few years.
He said: "They've gone up through the divisions and now play in the top division. The BT Cup is just for teams sponsored by pubs so it's quite a prestigious event.
You may also want to watch:
"It’s a fantastic opportunity for Railway Tavern Ladies team who are more than capable of winning it."
- 1 Hairdresser in contention for prestigious industry award
- 2 Delays on A47 after crash involving lorry
- 3 Family tribute to 'much loved' Norfolk woman killed in A47 crash
- 4 Battle of Britain service taking place in Dereham
- 5 Your favourite pub, café, restaurant and hotel in Norfolk revealed
- 6 '1,500 calls in a weekend' - Taxi firms' struggles with driver shortages
- 7 'A fabulous asset' - town centre pocket park finally opens
- 8 Special needs children miss school as parents face 'shambolic' transport
- 9 Man who was late to take son to school event jailed for fatal A47 crash
- 10 More than 450 homes hit by power cut in mid Norfolk