There’s still time to enter Dereham’s big race
The streets of Dereham will soon be filled with runners competing in the sixth annual Dereham 5k Town Race.
On Sunday, August 20, cheering spectators will line the streets to support more than 400 runners who have signed up to take part.
Event organisers are reminding would-be participants that they only have until 6pm on Saturday, August 19 to register to take part.
There are runners from Dereham’s twin town of Caudebec-Lès-Elbeuf taking part again this year.
First staged in 2011 by Dereham Runners, and well supported by Breckland Council, the 5k Race and a 1k fun run were established to encourage residents young and old to take up running and participate in a community event.
The 5k run is open to runners of all levels from the age of 12 years upwards who are able to complete the course within 40 minutes. Runners will follow a fast, flat route through the town centre, and must complete two laps. All finishers will receive a commemorative medal as memento of the day and trophies will be presented to category winners.
The 1k fun run takes place on the Recreation Ground immediately after the 5k race finish. The fun run is free to enter, open to all ages and runners can register on the day, with finishers’ medals only going to the young ones!
- 1 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 2 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
- 3 Households report supply issues and buses diverted due to burst water main
- 4 Queen's Platinum Jubilee flypast rehearses over Norfolk
- 5 A47 closed for several hours following crash in west Norfolk
- 6 A47 reopens after man seriously injured in crash following police chase
- 7 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 8 Social club to host beer festival in memory of beloved former chairman
- 9 Magpies moved to Midlands league for 2022/23 season
- 10 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
“Runners in previous years have told us that it is the encouragement from the crowd that really keeps them going so, even if you’re not able to take part, please come along on the day and join spectators along to route to cheer the runners on and give them an extra boost,” said a race spokesman.
To take part in the Dereham 5k Race, runners must register online at www.derehamrunners.co.uk.
The 5k race starts at 9.15am on London Road and finishes at Dereham Recreation Ground, and the cost of entry is £13 for unaffiliated runners while for affiliated runners - members of a running club in association with UK Athletics - the costs is£11. The online entries will close at 6pm on Saturday. Any unsold spaces will be available on the day before 8.40am at £15 and £13 respectfully, based on a first come first serve basis.
For more information go to www.derehamrunners.co.uk or email firstname.lastname@example.org.