There’s still time to enter Dereham’s big race
The streets of Dereham will soon be filled with runners competing in the sixth annual Dereham 5k Town Race.
On Sunday, August 20, cheering spectators will line the streets to support more than 400 runners who have signed up to take part.
Event organisers are reminding would-be participants that they only have until 6pm on Saturday, August 19 to register to take part.
There are runners from Dereham’s twin town of Caudebec-Lès-Elbeuf taking part again this year.
First staged in 2011 by Dereham Runners, and well supported by Breckland Council, the 5k Race and a 1k fun run were established to encourage residents young and old to take up running and participate in a community event.
You may also want to watch:
The 5k run is open to runners of all levels from the age of 12 years upwards who are able to complete the course within 40 minutes. Runners will follow a fast, flat route through the town centre, and must complete two laps. All finishers will receive a commemorative medal as memento of the day and trophies will be presented to category winners.
The 1k fun run takes place on the Recreation Ground immediately after the 5k race finish. The fun run is free to enter, open to all ages and runners can register on the day, with finishers’ medals only going to the young ones!
- 1 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 2 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 3 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 4 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 5 New signs to 'put Dereham on the map' are unveiled
- 6 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 7 Has Dereham started its Christmas shopping early?
- 8 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 9 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 10 Stunning new show at Houghton Hall set to immerse you into a meditative state
“Runners in previous years have told us that it is the encouragement from the crowd that really keeps them going so, even if you’re not able to take part, please come along on the day and join spectators along to route to cheer the runners on and give them an extra boost,” said a race spokesman.
To take part in the Dereham 5k Race, runners must register online at www.derehamrunners.co.uk.
The 5k race starts at 9.15am on London Road and finishes at Dereham Recreation Ground, and the cost of entry is £13 for unaffiliated runners while for affiliated runners - members of a running club in association with UK Athletics - the costs is£11. The online entries will close at 6pm on Saturday. Any unsold spaces will be available on the day before 8.40am at £15 and £13 respectfully, based on a first come first serve basis.
For more information go to www.derehamrunners.co.uk or email email@example.com.