Timm on targetin weekend double

Letchworth 1, Dereham Men 5

HOCKEY: Following an extended winter break there were no cobwebs on Dereham as they put on an impressive team performance in a top-of-the-table clash.

Dereham could have taken the lead in the opening seconds following a quick attack. Mike Timm crossed to Sam Plater who was unable to find the goal.

Plater made amends for the miss with a short corner drag-flick which rocketed past the Letchworth keeper into the roof of the net.

Dereham were playing magical hockey at times and Letchworth had no response. Dereham could easily have added to their lead.

Letchworth eventually got going, and drew level as they passed through the Dereham defence and slotted home at the back post.

Most Read

The goal spurred the home team on, but they were unable to create any meaningful chances until shortly before half-time when Ash Woodyatt threaded an eye-of-the-needle pass to Mike Timm who deflected the ball through the keeper's legs.

Dereham doubled their advantage early in the second half when man of the match Richard Stainthorpe played a delightful reverse pass which fooled the Letchworth defence, and Timm was again on hand to finish.

Timm completed his hat-trick after again combining with Stainthorpe to deflect the ball into the back of the net at the far post.

Timm's older brother Mark added the fifth after Player had beaten a couple of defenders and laid the ball off for another back-post finish.

Dereham could have added more, but on occasions their finishing let them down. The result was never in doubt as they managed to limit the opposition to just three shots on target.

Dereham Men 3, Harpenden 2

There were a few tired legs on Sunday following the victory on Saturday.

Dereham created a few chances, but some of the decision making in the D meant they were unable to take advantage and Harpenden took the lead just before the break as the ball broke to the centre forward who turned Dereham's keeper and finished into the open net.

Second half Dereham showed much more spirit and determination. Will Edwards went on a mazy run, beating five defenders before drilling the ball past the Harpenden keeper.

Dereham pushed for more goals, were unable to find the finishing touch and Harpenden regained the lead midway through the half when Dereham were unable to clear their lines following a short corner and conceded a penalty stroke. Tom Vaughan got a hand to it but was unable to steer it wide of the goal.

Dereham pulled one back when they finally converted a short corner at the 12th attempt, Mark Hunter drag-flicking the ball low past the keeper's right.

Mike Timm broke free and drove towards the goal, only to be scythed down in the D. He and cooly slotted home the resulting penalty flick.