Tony Witmond leads North Norfolk Beach Runners home at Holkham Hall
- Credit: Archant
North Norfolk Beach Runners were in action on both days over the weekend, starting on Saturday with the two-category (under-40 and over-40) Holkham 10k in the scenic grounds of Holkham Hall where 16 of them were among 541 finishers.
First Beach Runner home, in third place overall — and second Over 40 — was Tony Witmond in 38.08, while Sam Weller who is over 65 finished 75th overall in 46.49.
On Sunday, Holkham hosted the Outlaw Half Triathlon involving a 1.2 mile swim, 56m bike ride and a half marathon run, with a 6am start, just the sort of thing to interest high altitude ultra man, Beach Runner Colin Stark, who duly knocked it off in 5:01.36 to finish 105th out of 1242 (15th in the 40-45 category) and be back in time for lunch.
Sunday saw the Humpty Dumpty 10 at Freethorpe, organised by Great Yarmouth & District Athletic Club, where 15 Beach Runners, avoiding walls and great falls, were among 555 finishers. First Beach Runner home, as usual when he's there, was Neil Adams in fourth place overall (second in the 40-44) but closely followed by Chris Parker, in sixth with a time of 35.59, who, at the present rate of improvement, may soon challenge the NNBR natural order.
Other notable performances came from septuagenarians Noel Spruce, club president, in 58.53 for 389th place, and Brenda Kinch, in 425th with a time of 1:00.48. With Brenda having completed the Hitchin Hard Half Marathon last week in 2:23.05 and with Noel and Brenda both due to be part of the NNBR SuperSeventies squad for the Ekiden marathon relay at Woodbridge on July 16, NNBR grey power seems to be in rude health.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 2 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 3 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 4 Has Dereham started its Christmas shopping early?
- 5 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 6 New signs to 'put Dereham on the map' are unveiled
- 7 Potential resurrection of Dereham Rotary Club to be discussed at meeting
- 8 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 9 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 10 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47