Touch of the blues for Magpies

Dereham Town 1, Lowestoft Town 2A late Magpies goal brought them little consolation in Tuesday night's Aldiss Park clash of teams in the top three of the Ridgeons Premier.

Dereham Town 1, Lowestoft Town 2

A late Magpies goal brought them little consolation in Tuesday night's Aldiss Park clash of teams in the top three of the Ridgeons Premier.

The Blues are now top with 37 points from 14 games, Dereham third with 28 from 15, separated by Wivenhoe (31 from 14).

On Saturday, Dereham entertain eighth-placed Needham Market and on Tuesday they entertain ninth-placed Mildenhall.

You may also want to watch:

Lowestoft made a good start, with Godbold curling a right-footer over the top in the third minute, writes Rene Kendal.

Stock headed into Higgs' arms following Goddard's cross. The league leaders were playing at a high tempo and took the lead in the eighth minute. Defender Neil Plaskett netted with a superb header from Godbold's flag-kick.

Most Read

The Blues threatened again with Stock whistling a shot across the face of goal. The Magpies had their first effort in the 24th minute, but Bacon's long-range free-kick sailed well over.

Lowestoft were soon back on the attack and Stock headed straight at Higgs from close range after being set up by Woodrow. Bacon then had a chance for Dereham, but headed wide when well placed.

Dereham won a free-kick on the right in the 43rd minute and Beaumont sent over a superb, curling centre, which young home defender Eastoe-Smith glanced narrowly wide.

The second period saw Dereham dominating proceedings. Following a five-man move, Barrett flick-headed Eastoe-Smith's cross wide from 12 yards. Keeper Atteridge then claimed Garner's corner well before Beaumont over-cooked a ball to the far post.

After Lowestoft had weathered the home storm, Cockerill had a close-range effort from a corner that was cleared by Garner in the 68th minute. Three minutes later, great play by Smith on the left opened up the Blues' defence and he passed to Beaumont, whose side-footer looked goal-bound until keeper Atteridge flung himself to his left to make a brilliant save.

The Magpies continued to look the better side. Hough blazed wide from 30 yards in the 85th minute, and as play quickly switched ends, Atteridge made a brave save at the feet of Atkins as he looked set to score.

Dereham could not find the equaliser their second-half performance deserved, and Lowestoft sealed victory in the final minute when Jamie Godbold drilled home from 10 yards, following striker McGee's flick on.

Deep into injury time, Graham Barrett headed home Eastoe-Smith's cross from the right to earn his side a late consolation goal.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter