Town nearer Wembley

Larkhall Athletic 2, Dereham Town 4The Magpies made a dreadful start to their FA Carlsberg Vase fourth round tie when Toolstation West Division One League leaders Larkhall took the led in the second minute.

Larkhall Athletic 2, Dereham Town 4

The Magpies made a dreadful start to their FA Carlsberg Vase fourth round tie when Toolstation West Division One League leaders Larkhall took the led in the second minute.

A cross from the left came out to Jim Jwfferson who volleyed the ball home from 22 yards with stationery keeper Higgs making a hash of his attempted save as the ball looped over him and into the net, writes Rene Kendal.

However, Dereham soon drew level when Furlong delivered a superb cross towards the near post from the left which the home side were unable to defend, allowing the alert Nicky Howell to stab the ball home from close range in the sixth minute.

Play was mostly in the home end before the Larks won a corner which was cleared. In the 15th minute Gilbert appeared to handle Atkins' attempted pass in the box but the officials waved aside the visitors' appeals.

Most Read

After a serious of niggly challenges Larkhall's Shackal and Dereham's Atkins were both cautioned. Dereham were threatening the home defence with some neatly constructed passing moves.

Larkhill won a free-kick 20 yards out which resulted in Williams receiving a caution. Gould drilled the ball into Higgs' arms. The Dereham keeper then made up for his early error with a great close-range save to deny Bailey in the 30th minute.

Play continued to flow on the gluepot pitch with little between the sides. In the 30th minute Larkhall were reduced to 10 men when defender Burns was dismissed for an elbow on Beaumont.

Home keeper Shepherd did well to punch clear a dangerous Ollie Willis cross from the right before Dereham were awarded a penalty in the 44th minute when Stephens upended Sam Willis on the left of the box. However, Beaumont's spot kick crashed against the bar and came out into play. Half time: Larkhall 1, Dereham 1.

Dereham won two corners at the start of the second period as they looked to score an early goal. Sam Willis came within inches of netting in the 51st minute when he shaved a post following a goalmouth melee.

The Magpies then came close again when keeper Shepherd made a fine point-blank save to deny Howell at the far post following Beaumont's centre from the left.

Dereham won another penalty when fullback Scott raised his hands to divert Howell's 20-yard effort. Paul Atkins coolly slotted home to put the Magpies in front in the 60th minute.

However, the striker received a second yellow card as he ran to the visiting supporters with an overzealous celebration and was promptly dismissed.

Dereham increased their lead when Gilbert gave away possession whilst under pressure from Beaumont with skipper Graham Barrett striding forward into the box before beating Shepherd with a class finish in the 67th minute.

The Larkhall management duo were then dismissed as the home team were losing all discipline.

Larkhall won a spot kick in the 72nd minute following a goalmouth scramble, and striker Dave Bailey made it 3-2.

In the 77th minute Dereham restored their two-goal cushion with a well-worked goal. Midfielder Smith released Howell down the right who progressed before picking out DannyY Beaumont in the box and the striker drilled the ball into the roof of the net to the joy of the large number of Dereham supporters.

Beaumont came within inches of netting again when he stabbed Ollie Willis' low cross narrowly wide. With five minutes remaining Adam Gusterson made a welcome return for the Magpies, replacing Howell.

Dereham Town: J Higgs, O Willis, B Furlong, D Buhlemann, S Williams, D Beaumont, N Howell, A Smith, P Atkins, G Barrett, S Willis. Subs: A Gusterson, S Garner, J Eastoe-Smith, J Brien, S Mowbray.