Town's revival spot on

Dereham Town 3, Mildenhall 2THE Magpies were two down to a brightly-starting Mildenhall at Aldiss Park on Saturday but recovered to deliver the win, helped by two penalties.

Dereham Town 3, Mildenhall 2

THE Magpies were two down to a brightly-starting Mildenhall at Aldiss Park on Saturday but recovered to deliver the win, helped by two penalties.

Dereham threatened first with Ollie Willis playing a one-two with brother Sam before crossing from the right, but the ball was just behind Danny Beaumont, who hooked it over, writes Rene Kendal.

Spriggs' corner for Mildenhall was flicked on by Coe to Owen Paynter, who netted in the fifth minute.

You may also want to watch:

Nicky Howell burst from the halfway line and after squeezing the ball around Pope, saw the visiting keeper do well to block his attempted cross.

A pass from Youngs dissected the home midfield, with Paynter finding John Sands in the box, who turned and slotted home a low drive.

Most Read

Dereham reduced the deficit when Ollie Willis made a run into the visitors' box and was going nowhere until Sands tapped his heel. Beaumont made no mistake from the penalty-kick.

It was all square when Ollie Willis spread play wide to brother Sam, who delivered the ball into the box, where Barrett flicked on to Howell - who found the net from close range.

Play remained open and lively. Shortly before the break, the Magpies went in front from a penalty.

Ollie Willis was brought down just inside the box and again Beaumont slotted home the spot-kick.

Half-time: Dereham 3, Mildenhall 2

Both sides made changes at the break with Brien replacing Sam Willis and Robinson replacing Coe.

Brien released Olly Willis down the right but the full-back drilled the ball into the side netting after homing in on goal.

As Mildenhall looked to restore parity Williams made a fine tackle to thwart Sands on the edge of the Dereham box before defensive partner Eastoe-Smith made another good challenge to deny Paynter.

As torrential rain began to fall both teams continued to battle as play remained fluid. Olly Willis robbed defender Werthmann and keeper Pope did well to save his low drive.

Howell broke through the centre and found Brien, who was up-ended by Cooper 22 yards out. A Beaumont free-kick rounded the wall but lacked enough pace to trouble keeper Pope.

A mistake by Eastoe-Smith nearly let in Paynter, Higgs bravely diving at the striker's feet.

As play switched ends Pope made a vital stop to keep out Williams' low drive that looked to be heading inside his near post.

Dereham held out to record another victory as they look for a top- three finish.

Dereham: J Higgs, O Willis, S Garner, S Williams, J Eastoe-Smith, D Beaumont, N Howell, A Smith, S Willis, G Barrett, C Terrington. Subs: A Gusterson, J Brien, J Hadley, N Simmonds, M Powley.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter