Tuttle hits the spot for Dereham Town to earn a share of Ryman League North spoils

Luke Tuttle rescued a point for Dereham against Bury. Picture: IAN BURT

Luke Tuttle rescued a point for Dereham against Bury. Picture: IAN BURT - Credit: IAN BURT

A late penalty converted by Luke Tuttle earned Dereham Town a point against in-form Bury Town at Aldiss Park, writes Rene Kendal.

On the face of it Tuesday night's draw looked a good result against a side that had not been beaten in their first seven Ryman League North games. However, manager Matt Henman sets high standards for his side and was frustrated by their inability to keep the ball.

He said: 'I thought the first half was an even affair. We were sloppy in possession but had two good chances to be ahead at the break. We missed a one-on-one with their keeper and hit their bar twice.'

Rhys Logan got clean through after chasing down a long clearance from keeper Will Viner but saw his shot saved by Bury stopper Neil O'Sullivan. Logan then struck the visitors' bar with Matthew Cook also hitting the woodwork from the rebound.

'In the second half we were not ourselves,' said the Magpies' boss.

'We were not good enough in possession and were fortunate to only be one goal down. However, we did enough to keep it to one and took advantage of the late penalty'.

Bradley Barber received John Kennedy's pass to put Bury ahead in the 55th minute after Justin Miller had struck Viner's bar. Dereham searched for the equaliser and were rewarded in added time when Ryan Crisp was upended in the box. The reliable Tuttle made no mistake from the spot.

Most Read

Henman, whose men didn't play on Saturday, concluded: 'Going forward we must play better than we did on Tuesday.'

The Magpies have another home fixture on Saturday when they entertain Waltham Abbey (3pm kick-off). Dan Morphew returns to the squad along with Payton Swatman. On Tuesday Witham Town are the next visitors to Aldiss Park (7.45pm).

Dereham Town Reserves are without a game until Saturday September 26. Wayne Anderson's men picked up three Thurlow Nunn First Division points at the weekend by thumping Team Bury's second string 4-1.