Two more for Huckle as Mattishall round off season with win
- Credit: Archant
Mattishall rounded off their Anglian Combination campaign by beating the Saints by the odd goal of five, after being 3-0 up at one stage.
The result left Mattishall in a healthy mid-table position in the top flight, a better finish than the previous year.
They currently lie sixth in the table, but could drop several places if sides below them win their remaining games.
The hosts should have gone in front as early as the second minute as George Cagen put in a great cross, only to see Logan Copsey miss the opportunity.
St Andrews had a lot of the play in the next 20 minutes but Cagen, after another great right wing run, found the division's top scorer Xavier Huckle who coolly slotted home the opener.
Two minutes later Huckle and Cagen combined to find Copsey lurking in the danger area to hit home goal number two.
After the break Mattishall continued to frustrate their opponents and continued to push forward and only good saves from the visiting keeper kept Copsey and Huckle from adding to their tallies.
- 1 Social club to host beer festival in memory of beloved former chairman
- 2 'Some haven't had a cut since Covid' - hairdresser on growing challenges
- 3 Village pub to finally reopen after being shut for four years
- 4 Dereham barbershop named as one of UK's top 20
- 5 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 6 Norfolk war hero saluted at poignant service
- 7 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 8 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 9 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 10 Ex-military police officer elected as Dereham's new mayor
On 57 minutes the visitors had their best chance in the match but failed to connect to half the deficit.
In the 65th minute, another great left wing cross from Copsey found Huckle in the box and he hit home his second and his team's third goal to take the match beyond their opponents.
However, the Saints were not finished as in the last 20 minutes a couple of long throws into the Mattishall box resulted in the final touches creating two goals, the last coming in on the stroke of full-time.
St Andrews' goal scorers were Dan Chilverhouse and substitute Scott Aldridge.
It was a good win against a side who recently inflicted a first defeat of the season on leaders Spixworth, with the only black spot the sending off of a home player with five minutes remaining.
The second match of the afternoon saw Mattishall Reserves go down 4-1 to a well-organised Yelverton outfit with Stuart Woodcock netting the consolation goal.
With five matches remaining, the reserve team must gain at least five points to remain in avery tough Division Ttwo of the Anglian Combination League.
On Saturday they are away at Caister Reserves (kick-off 2.30pm).