Two more for Huckle as Mattishall round off season with win
- Credit: Archant
Mattishall rounded off their Anglian Combination campaign by beating the Saints by the odd goal of five, after being 3-0 up at one stage.
The result left Mattishall in a healthy mid-table position in the top flight, a better finish than the previous year.
They currently lie sixth in the table, but could drop several places if sides below them win their remaining games.
The hosts should have gone in front as early as the second minute as George Cagen put in a great cross, only to see Logan Copsey miss the opportunity.
St Andrews had a lot of the play in the next 20 minutes but Cagen, after another great right wing run, found the division's top scorer Xavier Huckle who coolly slotted home the opener.
You may also want to watch:
Two minutes later Huckle and Cagen combined to find Copsey lurking in the danger area to hit home goal number two.
After the break Mattishall continued to frustrate their opponents and continued to push forward and only good saves from the visiting keeper kept Copsey and Huckle from adding to their tallies.
- 1 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 2 Man in 80s from Norfolk found not guilty of historic sexual offences
- 3 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 4 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 5 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 6 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 7 Farm enjoying another bumper year for pumpkin picking
- 8 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
- 9 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 10 Fire crews battling large house blaze
On 57 minutes the visitors had their best chance in the match but failed to connect to half the deficit.
In the 65th minute, another great left wing cross from Copsey found Huckle in the box and he hit home his second and his team's third goal to take the match beyond their opponents.
However, the Saints were not finished as in the last 20 minutes a couple of long throws into the Mattishall box resulted in the final touches creating two goals, the last coming in on the stroke of full-time.
St Andrews' goal scorers were Dan Chilverhouse and substitute Scott Aldridge.
It was a good win against a side who recently inflicted a first defeat of the season on leaders Spixworth, with the only black spot the sending off of a home player with five minutes remaining.
The second match of the afternoon saw Mattishall Reserves go down 4-1 to a well-organised Yelverton outfit with Stuart Woodcock netting the consolation goal.
With five matches remaining, the reserve team must gain at least five points to remain in avery tough Division Ttwo of the Anglian Combination League.
On Saturday they are away at Caister Reserves (kick-off 2.30pm).