Vauxhall Mallards defeat Great Witchingham in East Anglian Premier League derby
- Credit: Archant
Great Witchingham suffered a disappointing East Anglian Premier League derby defeat to Vauxhall Mallards, writes Chris Wise.
This time last year the Ducks were struggling at the wrong end of the table but after cruising to a six-wicket success at Walcis Park on Saturday they are now just 26 points behind new leaders Swardeston.
Mitchell Todd starred with both bat and ball as Mallards turned in the sort of performance that suggested they will be a force to be reckoned with this summer following the indifferent campaign that followed their switch from Brundall to Halvergate.
Todd returned the impressive figures of 5-38 as Witchingham were dismissed for just 160, with Johannes Diseko's half century the only bright spot for the hosts.
The result was never in doubt once Todd (56) and Matt Plater (70 not out) had put on 103 for the first wicket in reply and despite the admirable efforts of James Hale (3-36) the visitors got home in less than 25 overs.
You may also want to watch:
The Witches' loss capped a disappointing few days following their defeat to Norwich in the Norfolk Twenty20 competition. Ben Patston's 34 was the top score as the hosts were dismissed for 141, with South African Diseko taking 5-28 and former Norfolk captain Carl Rogers 3-21.
Witchingham lacked a sizeable contribution with the bat in reply and fell 22 runs short of their target on 119-8. Sam Pointer was the most successful Norwich bowler, with figures of 3-35.
- 1 Century-long agreement over Dereham green space to end
- 2 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 3 How to see the Flying Scotsman in Norfolk this October
- 4 IN PICTURES: Flying Scotsman in all its glory on the Mid Norfolk Railway
- 5 Bone found on beach by Callum, 9, may have been from a woolly rhino
- 6 Amazing drone footage shows Flying Scotsman travelling through Norfolk
- 7 Former army officer resigns as councillor for 'personal reasons'
- 8 Dereham garage sale arranged to raise money for cancer charity
- 9 The Flying Scotsman arrives in Dereham
- 10 Students and staff come together for celebration of high school's history