Welcome rugby win for Dereham
Dereham 60, Felixstowe 7DEREHAM emphatically got their first win of 2010 against a side that had beaten them earlier in the season. Dereham came flying out of the blocks and within the first five minutes were a score up.
Dereham 60, Felixstowe 7
DEREHAM emphatically got their first win of 2010 against a side that had beaten them earlier in the season.
Dereham came flying out of the blocks and within the first five minutes were a score up. Clean ball was won in the Felixstowe 22 from the line-out and the forwards powerfully drove over the line with Carl Edwards finishing it off.
In previous weeks Dereham had lost games in the first 20 minutes, and they were in no mood to slow up. Further tries from Morgan Gant and Simon put Dereham in a commanding position with Felixstowe rarely threatening.
The Dereham pack destroyed the opposing scrum, giving Will Affleck clean ball to dart around the back to score under the posts.
A mis-kick in the middle of the park allowed Felixstowe to claw one back before half-time, but almost immediately Affleck added his second try with a cheeky run from the back of a ruck to put Dereham 29-7 up.
- 1 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
- 2 'It's scary' - foodbank volunteers lift lid on cost of living crisis
- 3 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
- 4 More details revealed ahead of Dereham's Jubilee celebrations
- 5 Locked-up play area to be refurbished after public outcry
- 6 Crowds turn out to celebrate first ever Dereham Day
- 7 Drug dealing mother-of-five had ‘cocaine stuffed in bra’
- 8 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 9 7 food and drink themed trains you can ride in Norfolk this summer
- 10 Annual service to be held in memory of Norfolk war hero
The second half was much like the first, with the Dereham forwards controlling the game, giving the backs some good ball to work with.
Bessant and Baz made some strong, darting runs down the middle, both scoring under the posts. Gant added his second, showing a clean set of heels on the wing.
Jon added to the score and the afternoon was finished off when Felixstowe tapped down from their own line-out in their 22 and veteran Roy Head was quick to pick up on it and score on the corner. Affleck and Jack Edwards added five conversions between them.
Dereham's talented crop of new young players posted promising signs for the future of the club with three-try debuts from Affleck, Bessant and Jon,
Dereham look to take this form into this week's home game against Lakenham Hewett (kick-off 3pm) at Moorgate. All support is welcome.