Wells win to join the pace-setters
Wells Town 2, Stalham Town 1
THE Seasiders went into this contest knowing three points from the match would see them go equal top of Anglian Combination Division One with the teams around them playing in the Norfolk Senior Cup.
Both sides started brightly with the visitors edging the early play, Stalham created two very good chances to score, however the forwards shot over when well placed to have done better. Wells started to create chances for themselves but solid defending and the safe hands of Nicholls kept the scores level at the interval.
Wells started the second period by pushing the visitors back, and in the 58th minute Grocotts powerful shot was forced into the net by a visiting defender, this allowed Wells a little more space and in the 66th minute Gray turned his marker and curled his shot passed Nicholls from an acute angle.
Wells were now looking safe, however a poor tackle in the box saw the visitors reduce the arrears from the spot, Bailey's spot kick was placed just out of the reach of Molyneux, The visitors then pushed forward in search of the equaliser, solid defending held out for the win.
You may also want to watch:
Wells Town host Long Stratton on Saturday in the Mummery Cup, 2pm.
- 1 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 2 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 3 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 4 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 5 Fears raised over Western Link surveying work
- 6 Farm enjoying another bumper year for pumpkin picking
- 7 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 8 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 9 Man in 80s from Norfolk found not guilty of historic sexual offences
- 10 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
Corton Res 6, Wells Town Res 0
Wells Reserves travelled to face Corton with key players unavailable and matched their hosts until the 30th minute when Wick saw red for a second yellow card, Wells then struggled and conceded at regular intervals. Wells Res travel to Horsford Res on Saturday in the KO Cup.