Wells win to join the pace-setters
Wells Town 2, Stalham Town 1
THE Seasiders went into this contest knowing three points from the match would see them go equal top of Anglian Combination Division One with the teams around them playing in the Norfolk Senior Cup.
Both sides started brightly with the visitors edging the early play, Stalham created two very good chances to score, however the forwards shot over when well placed to have done better. Wells started to create chances for themselves but solid defending and the safe hands of Nicholls kept the scores level at the interval.
Wells started the second period by pushing the visitors back, and in the 58th minute Grocotts powerful shot was forced into the net by a visiting defender, this allowed Wells a little more space and in the 66th minute Gray turned his marker and curled his shot passed Nicholls from an acute angle.
Wells were now looking safe, however a poor tackle in the box saw the visitors reduce the arrears from the spot, Bailey's spot kick was placed just out of the reach of Molyneux, The visitors then pushed forward in search of the equaliser, solid defending held out for the win.
Wells Town host Long Stratton on Saturday in the Mummery Cup, 2pm.
- 1 Social club to host beer festival in memory of beloved former chairman
- 2 Dereham barbershop named as one of UK's top 20
- 3 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 4 'Some haven't had a cut since Covid' - hairdresser on growing challenges
- 5 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 6 Ex-military police officer elected as Dereham's new mayor
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 9 Heritage railway plans running days to celebrate Queen's Jubilee
- 10 Magpies moved to Midlands league for 2022/23 season
Corton Res 6, Wells Town Res 0
Wells Reserves travelled to face Corton with key players unavailable and matched their hosts until the 30th minute when Wick saw red for a second yellow card, Wells then struggled and conceded at regular intervals. Wells Res travel to Horsford Res on Saturday in the KO Cup.