Winning start for Dereham CC
DEREHAM'S assault on Alliance Division Two started in style with a four-wicket win over newly-promoted Hethersett and Tas Valley on Saturday.
With Dereham losing the toss and fielding first, Kristian Fletcher got the team off to a flying start, bowling the opening batsman fifth ball. Tas Valley regrouped by putting on a 100 partnership, and it seemed Dereham would be chasing a big score.
In the 23rd over things started to go Dereham's way. A flurry of wickets tumbled as Jake Anema, Max Cheetham and Nic Cains grabbed two wickets apiece. And two cheeky run-outs saw the hosts post 230-8.
In reply, Dereham got off to a steady start until David Lake departed for 19. Dereham dug in with skipper Duncan Hewitt and Joe Marczewski producing a partnership of 130 with Hewitt being out on 77.
Dereham had a slight wobble, losing all-rounder Jake Anema and Neil Irons cheaply. Marczewski smashed his way to a fine 66 before getting caught.
You may also want to watch:
It was left to Lee Hoggett and Jack Perin West to see the visitors home with three overs to spare.
Jubilant Hewittt said afterwards: 'A great start to a long season. Every player played a part in this win. I'm so pleased to get off to a winning start.'
- 1 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 2 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 3 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 4 Record Covid highs for three areas of Norfolk
- 5 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 6 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 7 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 8 'I will not resign,' says councillor who broke Covid isolation
- 9 Dereham, Blofield and Belton are the latest coronavirus infection hotspots
- 10 Photo gallery: Snow turns region into winter wonderland
Dereham host Beccles on Saturday.
Hethersett: T Shelley c Lake b Anema 59, R Ellis b Fletcher 0, M Ellis run out 72, N Burrett run out 6, M Gricks b Cheetham 0, J Smith not out 20, L King c Cains b Cheetham 29, T Hunt b Anema 1, J Emeny b Fletcher 6, D Bellchamber not out 15; extras 17. Total 230-8.
Bowling: K Fletcher 9-1-54-2, N Cains 12-3-40-0, J Anema 12-1-72-2, M Cheetham 12-1-50-2, L Hoggett 1-0-8-0.
Dereham: D Lake c Smith b Gricks 19, D Hewitt c-b Bellchamber 77, J Marczewski c Burrett b Ellis 66, J Anema c Burrett b Ellis 0, N Irons b Ellis 0, L Hoggett not out 29, N Cains c Hunt Ellis 0, J Perrin-West not out 11; extras 24. Total 231-6.
Bowling: M Gricks 11-0-44-1, J Emeny 10-0-49-0, M Ellis 11-0-41-4, D Bellchamber 8-1-56-1, J Smith 4-0-34-0.