Winning start for Dereham CC
DEREHAM'S assault on Alliance Division Two started in style with a four-wicket win over newly-promoted Hethersett and Tas Valley on Saturday.
With Dereham losing the toss and fielding first, Kristian Fletcher got the team off to a flying start, bowling the opening batsman fifth ball. Tas Valley regrouped by putting on a 100 partnership, and it seemed Dereham would be chasing a big score.
In the 23rd over things started to go Dereham's way. A flurry of wickets tumbled as Jake Anema, Max Cheetham and Nic Cains grabbed two wickets apiece. And two cheeky run-outs saw the hosts post 230-8.
In reply, Dereham got off to a steady start until David Lake departed for 19. Dereham dug in with skipper Duncan Hewitt and Joe Marczewski producing a partnership of 130 with Hewitt being out on 77.
Dereham had a slight wobble, losing all-rounder Jake Anema and Neil Irons cheaply. Marczewski smashed his way to a fine 66 before getting caught.
It was left to Lee Hoggett and Jack Perin West to see the visitors home with three overs to spare.
Jubilant Hewittt said afterwards: 'A great start to a long season. Every player played a part in this win. I'm so pleased to get off to a winning start.'
- 1 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
- 2 More details revealed ahead of Dereham's Jubilee celebrations
- 3 Century-old farm machinery firm invests £6m in its factory's future
- 4 'It's scary' - foodbank volunteers lift lid on cost of living crisis
- 5 Annual service to be held in memory of Norfolk war hero
- 6 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
- 7 Crowds turn out to celebrate first ever Dereham Day
- 8 Locked-up play area to be refurbished after public outcry
- 9 7 food and drink themed trains you can ride in Norfolk this summer
- 10 Bradenham still searching for win after Downham & Stow defeat
Dereham host Beccles on Saturday.
Hethersett: T Shelley c Lake b Anema 59, R Ellis b Fletcher 0, M Ellis run out 72, N Burrett run out 6, M Gricks b Cheetham 0, J Smith not out 20, L King c Cains b Cheetham 29, T Hunt b Anema 1, J Emeny b Fletcher 6, D Bellchamber not out 15; extras 17. Total 230-8.
Bowling: K Fletcher 9-1-54-2, N Cains 12-3-40-0, J Anema 12-1-72-2, M Cheetham 12-1-50-2, L Hoggett 1-0-8-0.
Dereham: D Lake c Smith b Gricks 19, D Hewitt c-b Bellchamber 77, J Marczewski c Burrett b Ellis 66, J Anema c Burrett b Ellis 0, N Irons b Ellis 0, L Hoggett not out 29, N Cains c Hunt Ellis 0, J Perrin-West not out 11; extras 24. Total 231-6.
Bowling: M Gricks 11-0-44-1, J Emeny 10-0-49-0, M Ellis 11-0-41-4, D Bellchamber 8-1-56-1, J Smith 4-0-34-0.