Witches knock off top of league
Great Witchingham lost the East Anglian Premier League top spot to Horsford and slipped to third behind their Saturday conquerors Swardeston, sparking fears of a repeat of the previous two seasons when title challenges have petered out after mid-season collapses.
Spinners George Walker and Jaden Hatwell shared eight wickets as Swardeston demolished morning leaders Great Witchingham by 113 runs.
Having been put in to bat, Swardeston posted 220-9.
League individual record-breaker Joel Abraham (47) and Hatwell (49) added 57 for the third wicket and Ian Tufts (41) and Will Rist (32) put together a 55-run partnership for the seventh wicket.
Witches' teenage spinner James Hale ripped out Swardeston's middle order, claiming 4-52 in 15 overs.
Witchingham's reply saw Sam Thelwell have James Spelman caught behind for 13 and George Walker brought prolific Carl Rogers' golden run of form to a halt when he had his Norfolk colleague caught in the slips for 15 with his third ball.
Walker and Hatwell then turned the screw as Witchingham fell to 49-5.
- 1 Neighbours' tribute to crash victim who 'thought the world of her dogs'
- 2 Locked-up play area to be refurbished after public outcry
- 3 Crowds turn out to celebrate first ever Dereham Day
- 4 'It's scary' - foodbank volunteers lift lid on cost of living crisis
- 5 Drug dealing mother-of-five had ‘cocaine stuffed in bra’
- 6 Mum killed in A47 collision was ‘walking to Norwich’, inquest hears
- 7 Dereham school recognised for commitment to equality and diversity
- 8 Century-old farm machinery firm invests £6m in its factory's future
- 9 Norfolk woman dies after being stung by wasp in Spain
- 10 Extra speed check camera vans to target Norfolk's 'village speeders'
Tom Collishaw (35) and Shaun Arthurton (15) provided some resistance but Walker (12.1-5-30-4) and Hatwell (11-3-36-4) saw the visitors bowled out in the 37th over.
Swardeston (30pts) beat Great Witchingham (4) by 113 runs.
Swardeston: J Abraham c J M Spelman b Rogers 47, D Martin lbw McCone 12, J Taylor b J M Spelman 1, J Hatwell c-b McCone 49, P Lambert c S Arthurton Snr b Hale 4, I Tufts st Groves b Hale 41, G Walker c Dyer b Hale 16, W Rist st Groves b Hale 32, M Thomas run out 0, M Eccles not out 0, S Thelwell not out 0; extras 10. Total (9 wkts, 66 overs) 220.
Bowling: R McCone 16-3-43-2, A Dyer 8-0-30-0, J M Spelman 9-1-38-1, J Hale 15-2-52-4, C Rogers 18-4-46-1.
Great Witchingham: C Rogers c Hatwell b Walker 15, S Arthurton Jnr st Rist b Hatwell 18, T Collishaw lbw Hatwell 35, R McCone c Thomas b Walker 1, J Hale b Walker 0, S Arthurton Snr b Hatwell 15, J Page run out 0, J O Spelman b Hatwell 0, S Groves not out 9, A Dyer c Eccles b Walker 0; extras 1. Total (36.1 overs) 107.
Bowling: M Eccles 6-0-23-0, S Thelwell 7-2-18-1, G Walker 12.1-5-30-4, J Hatwell 11-3-36-4.