Work to do for non-league duo Dereham Town and Fakenham Town
- Credit: Archant
Dereham Town and Fakenham Town head into the weekend looking to build on slow starts to the season, writes Gavin Caney.
The Ryman League North Magpies eked out a fine 0-0 draw at goal-hungry Haringey Borough on Saturday but failed to build on it during their first home fixture of the new campaign.
A 1-0 defeat to AFC Sudbury on Tuesday evening was disappointing as they looked to try and make it four points out of a possible six.
The Magpies will aim to collect their first three-point haul – and open their goalscoring account for the 2015/16 campaign – on Saturday when they welcome relegated AFC Hornchurch. Defender Harry Barker will, once again, not be in Dereham's squad after completing an initial 28-day loan move to higher-level Lowestoft Town.
The Ghosts kickstart their latest attempt at a fairytale FA Cup run this weekend off the back of a midweek mauling.
Neil Jarvis' Fakenham had not been handed an easy start to the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division – one level below where Dereham ply their trade. But while a 1-0 defeat at highly-rated Stanway Rovers during Saturday's opening weekend may have been acceptable, a 4-0 drubbing at Mildenhall Town three days later was not.
Focus now immediately turns to the prestigious national competition's extra preliminary round (£1,500 for winners) this weekend. Their same level opponents Huntingdon Town, of the United Counties League Premier Division, are also pointless after suffering back-to-back defeats.
- 1 Village pub reopens for the first time in four years
- 2 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 3 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Landmark nature project aims to rejuvenate river valley wildlife
- 6 Social club to host beer festival in memory of beloved former chairman
- 7 Stunning 'Lady of the Wood' carved statue revealed at park
- 8 Education bursary worth £1,000 launched to mark Queen's Jubilee
- 9 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 10 Queen's Jubilee: All the events happening in the Dereham area
The Ghosts do not have a midweek fixture – unless they fail to see off their cup opponents inside 90 minutes. A replay would be held on either Tuesday or Wednesday.