Work to do for non-league duo Dereham Town and Fakenham Town
- Credit: Archant
Dereham Town and Fakenham Town head into the weekend looking to build on slow starts to the season, writes Gavin Caney.
The Ryman League North Magpies eked out a fine 0-0 draw at goal-hungry Haringey Borough on Saturday but failed to build on it during their first home fixture of the new campaign.
A 1-0 defeat to AFC Sudbury on Tuesday evening was disappointing as they looked to try and make it four points out of a possible six.
The Magpies will aim to collect their first three-point haul – and open their goalscoring account for the 2015/16 campaign – on Saturday when they welcome relegated AFC Hornchurch. Defender Harry Barker will, once again, not be in Dereham's squad after completing an initial 28-day loan move to higher-level Lowestoft Town.
The Ghosts kickstart their latest attempt at a fairytale FA Cup run this weekend off the back of a midweek mauling.
You may also want to watch:
Neil Jarvis' Fakenham had not been handed an easy start to the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division – one level below where Dereham ply their trade. But while a 1-0 defeat at highly-rated Stanway Rovers during Saturday's opening weekend may have been acceptable, a 4-0 drubbing at Mildenhall Town three days later was not.
Focus now immediately turns to the prestigious national competition's extra preliminary round (£1,500 for winners) this weekend. Their same level opponents Huntingdon Town, of the United Counties League Premier Division, are also pointless after suffering back-to-back defeats.
- 1 Developer says dozens show interest in new homes despite council concerns
- 2 50 home development approved despite flooding fears
- 3 'My heart was racing' - Horse rider's shocking encounter with speeding van
- 4 More than 1,000 laptops donated to children in need in campaign
- 5 Artist’s tribute to ‘courageous’ cancer charity founder
- 6 Norfolk’s weekly Covid care home deaths among worst in England
- 7 Council agrees to fell "high risk tree" - despite protection order
- 8 Dereham Blues Festival cancelled for second year running
- 9 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 10 Wind farm engineers to drill below cliffs and rivers
The Ghosts do not have a midweek fixture – unless they fail to see off their cup opponents inside 90 minutes. A replay would be held on either Tuesday or Wednesday.