Work to do for non-league duo Dereham Town and Fakenham Town
- Credit: Archant
Dereham Town and Fakenham Town head into the weekend looking to build on slow starts to the season, writes Gavin Caney.
The Ryman League North Magpies eked out a fine 0-0 draw at goal-hungry Haringey Borough on Saturday but failed to build on it during their first home fixture of the new campaign.
A 1-0 defeat to AFC Sudbury on Tuesday evening was disappointing as they looked to try and make it four points out of a possible six.
The Magpies will aim to collect their first three-point haul – and open their goalscoring account for the 2015/16 campaign – on Saturday when they welcome relegated AFC Hornchurch. Defender Harry Barker will, once again, not be in Dereham's squad after completing an initial 28-day loan move to higher-level Lowestoft Town.
The Ghosts kickstart their latest attempt at a fairytale FA Cup run this weekend off the back of a midweek mauling.
You may also want to watch:
Neil Jarvis' Fakenham had not been handed an easy start to the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division – one level below where Dereham ply their trade. But while a 1-0 defeat at highly-rated Stanway Rovers during Saturday's opening weekend may have been acceptable, a 4-0 drubbing at Mildenhall Town three days later was not.
Focus now immediately turns to the prestigious national competition's extra preliminary round (£1,500 for winners) this weekend. Their same level opponents Huntingdon Town, of the United Counties League Premier Division, are also pointless after suffering back-to-back defeats.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
- 3 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 4 Dereham's plans for Remembrance services announced
- 5 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 6 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 7 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 8 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 9 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 10 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
The Ghosts do not have a midweek fixture – unless they fail to see off their cup opponents inside 90 minutes. A replay would be held on either Tuesday or Wednesday.