Yaxham clinch place in Chequered Flag Primary League Cup final
Yaxham 4, Thurton & Ashby 2
Yaxham reached the final of the Chequered Flag Primary League Cup with victory over Thurton & Ashby on Saturday.
Jason Knight returned from suspension in the only change manager Jon Barnes made to the starting line-up.
Yaxham were stunned when the visitors took the lead with one of only two shots Thurton had in the first half.
But the hosts displayed patience and resilience and it wasn't long before Craig Clarke levelled matters from the spot.
Clarke's second soon followed, a delightful 25 yard free-kick into the top corner.
The Thurton keeper was keeping his side in the game, three times pulling off superb saves.
- 1 Man dies after collapsing during dog walk in Norfolk village
- 2 Young people transform care home's garden in just four days
- 3 Breckland builder dumped toilet cisterns and bathroom items in front garden
- 4 Final details revealed ahead of Queen's Dragoon Guards freedom parade
- 5 Long-delayed wedding finally takes place... in 1941
- 6 A47 reopens after serious crash near Swaffham
- 7 Road closures to be put in place for Queen's Dragoon Guards parade
- 8 'Proper farming' sees dairy family crowned Norfolk farm champions
- 9 Man charged in connection with burglary at Dereham home
- 10 Man caught with cannabis after armed police called to Dereham park
In the second half, Knight got a lucky deflection to slot in number three. The visiting keeper pulled off some more excellent saves, notably two from Knight, as Yaxham started to become frustrated.
Thurton revived their hopes with a second goal, but with time running out, and the home side attempting to keep the ball, veteran Davey Adams settled the tie with a cross shot that nestled in the net, ensuring a place in the final for Yaxham.