Yaxham clinch place in Chequered Flag Primary League Cup final
Yaxham 4, Thurton & Ashby 2
Yaxham reached the final of the Chequered Flag Primary League Cup with victory over Thurton & Ashby on Saturday.
Jason Knight returned from suspension in the only change manager Jon Barnes made to the starting line-up.
Yaxham were stunned when the visitors took the lead with one of only two shots Thurton had in the first half.
But the hosts displayed patience and resilience and it wasn't long before Craig Clarke levelled matters from the spot.
Clarke's second soon followed, a delightful 25 yard free-kick into the top corner.
The Thurton keeper was keeping his side in the game, three times pulling off superb saves.
- 1 Man injured teen with catapult after supermarket row
- 2 Four vehicles, including lorry, involved in 'serious crash' on A1067
- 3 Volunteer exodus puts future of beloved windmill under threat
- 4 Schools in Norfolk face classroom closures due to coronavirus
- 5 Town centre set to welcome vegan street food truck
- 6 Huge solar farm proposed near Roman site
- 7 What the average UK house price can buy you in Norfolk's towns
- 8 Decision over funding for Queen Mother's Garden revamp delayed
- 9 Revealed: The 20 areas of Norfolk 'regularly at risk of flooding'
- 10 Father accused of baby murder blamed car seat for bruise
In the second half, Knight got a lucky deflection to slot in number three. The visiting keeper pulled off some more excellent saves, notably two from Knight, as Yaxham started to become frustrated.
Thurton revived their hopes with a second goal, but with time running out, and the home side attempting to keep the ball, veteran Davey Adams settled the tie with a cross shot that nestled in the net, ensuring a place in the final for Yaxham.