Yaxham clinch place in Chequered Flag Primary League Cup final
Yaxham 4, Thurton & Ashby 2
Yaxham reached the final of the Chequered Flag Primary League Cup with victory over Thurton & Ashby on Saturday.
Jason Knight returned from suspension in the only change manager Jon Barnes made to the starting line-up.
Yaxham were stunned when the visitors took the lead with one of only two shots Thurton had in the first half.
But the hosts displayed patience and resilience and it wasn't long before Craig Clarke levelled matters from the spot.
You may also want to watch:
Clarke's second soon followed, a delightful 25 yard free-kick into the top corner.
The Thurton keeper was keeping his side in the game, three times pulling off superb saves.
- 1 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 2 Mid Norfolk MP George Freeman returns to government
- 3 Delays on the A47 after crash
- 4 One in eight Breckland adults yet to receive Covid vaccine
- 5 Enhanced play area unveiled following £23,000 revamp
- 6 Three marathons in three weekends - Dereham runner's amazing charity effort
- 7 Hairdresser in contention for prestigious industry award
- 8 Dereham Golf Club full of pride after juniors represent Norfolk
- 9 Family tribute to 'much loved' Norfolk woman killed in A47 crash
- 10 '1,500 calls in a weekend' - Taxi firms' struggles with driver shortages
In the second half, Knight got a lucky deflection to slot in number three. The visiting keeper pulled off some more excellent saves, notably two from Knight, as Yaxham started to become frustrated.
Thurton revived their hopes with a second goal, but with time running out, and the home side attempting to keep the ball, veteran Davey Adams settled the tie with a cross shot that nestled in the net, ensuring a place in the final for Yaxham.