Yaxham FC clinch cup final place
Thurton & Ashby 2, Yaxham 3
Yaxham booked their place in the final of the Chequered Flag Primary League Cup with victory on Saturday.
Having beaten the hosts in the league the previous week, Yaxham were without the suspended Jason Knight, but welcomed Davey Adams back from injury. Manager Jon Barnes opted for Adams sitting in behind the lone front runner Craig Clarke.
Against a very physical and slick Thurton side, Yaxham's passing game gradually became more prominent,with skipper Matt Barden and Joe Whitty at the forefront of most moves.
From a sublime through ball by Adams, Clarke found himself homing in on goal and rifled a left footed shot into the roof of the net.
You may also want to watch:
Quick thinking by Clarke resulted in him scoring his and Yaxham's second midway through the half before delivering an inch perfect pass for Whitty to continue his purple patch of goals, netting his seventh in four games.
With confidence high, Yaxham were their own worst enemy in the second half, letting Thurton come at them and they duly conceded midway through the half.
- 1 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 2 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 3 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 4 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 5 New signs to 'put Dereham on the map' are unveiled
- 6 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 7 Has Dereham started its Christmas shopping early?
- 8 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 9 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 10 Stunning new show at Houghton Hall set to immerse you into a meditative state
Clarke repeatedly fell foul of some debatable offside decisions and with ten minutes to go Thurton got their second to set up a tight finish.
Yaxham held on to reach the final, where they will meet holders Castle Acre Swifts, at Aldiss Park on Wednesday, April 25.