Youth football: Dereham Town U10 Whites defeated

Dereham Town U10 Whites: Dereham got off to a flyer against Hillside as Joe pressed the ball high up the pitch giving the opposition no respite on the ball. Callum H had some darting runs from midfield, Alfie and Oscar were keeping it nice and tidy at the back and Chrisztian looked comfortable in a holding role. On eight minutes it was Hillside who took the lead with a great move from midfield for their striker to slot the ball under Matty in goal. It was a bitter blow to Dereham who were on top at this point.

Going behind didn't stop Dereham trying to get the ball up into Hillside's half, Joe created himself half a chance by holding off a couple of players only for his shot to go just wide of the mark. The away supporters had to wait until the 11th minute for Dereham's first goal and it came from a great ball from Readie in midfield to set Joe off through on goal and he neatly tucked the ball home with a sweet left foot effort to make it 1-1. Dereham now had more self belief and Oscar made a darting run down the wing and was played in by an excellent weighted pass from Ryan to slot home Dereham's second. There was even time for Joe again to burst through on goal only to be pushed out wide but he still managed to get a shot away only for it to come back off the post.

In the second half with the wind against them it was proving the deciding factor for this half with Hillsides number two having some great set pieces getting into Dereham's box only for Alfie, Ryan and Joe to clear up the pressure when called upon with some quality headers out of defence. The pressure got too much for Town's defence and Hillside managed to grab two goals in five minutes. Dereham were now getting to grips with the wind and Callum H managed to have two one on ones with the keeper only for the keeper to make a save and also just to take a heavy touch to take it away from him before he was able to strike the ball. The game finished 4-2.

Dereham U12s, top of the league, played hosts to an in form Watton side. As expected the game was tightly fought with both teams cutting out space well and quick into the challenges. At times the game turned into a scrap in the centre of the pitch with both teams finding it a job to spread the ball around. In the first half Dereham looked the more likely to score with Korben's shot hitting the post and Marcus having a shot tipped over the bar. Dereham started to penetrate a bit more in the second half. Harry found space in the box to fire off a shot then won a penalty after he was shoved over. Jake kept his cool and finished well for 1-0. Throughout the game Watton always looked dangerous on the counter which eventually paid off when a shot was fired in from the edge of the box, it wasn't cleared and fell to Watton's striker to tap in. Harry came close to a winner with a header just over in the last minutes. Although Dereham created more chances in front of goal in the end it was a fair result for the two equally matched teams.

Team: Harry, Kyle, Jake, Dan, Aaron, Kieran, Korben, Marcus, Mason, Logan, Chris, Will, Sam, Harry

MoM: Chris

Most Read

Fakenham Town U12s travelled to Drayton for a fixture which looked as though it could severely test Fakenham's proud unbeaten record following a goalless draw in the home game. With a strong wind blowing across the pitch conditions were not ideal but from the outset it was the young Ghosts who coped better. A combination of determination to win possession and desire to play good passing football meant they got off to a dream start. Within five minutes they were in front when Ben picked up the ball on the edge of the box and shot into the far top corner. The same player then created himself space in the box and scored inside the near post. Everyone on the Fakenham side was in top form and before long they extended their lead through Reece's cool finish and Aaron's thunderbolt in off the bar. Charlie who was back to his best form then got in on the act and further strikes from George and Reece ensured a healthy half-time advantage as they led 7-0.

The second half followed pretty much the same pattern but to their credit Drayton proved a bit more resilient and ensured that the excellent Fakenham defence were kept on their toes. George grabbed his second goal of the game before Drayton got on the scoresheet with a fine strike from the edge of the box.

This setback was quickly evened out when Ben tucked a chance away and to top off a superb all-round team performance Aaron got his side into double figures. Top marks to the whole squad for putting on a great display and achieving a result that no one would have predicted.

Full-time: 10-1

Team: Jamie, Jack, Dominic, Rahul, Josh, Reece, George, Aaron, Charlie, Ben, Thomas and Matthew.