Youth football round-up

DEREHAM TOWN WHITES U10 vs Hindolveston: The away side started on fire with shots coming in from every angle only for the ball to go high and wide most times. This was proving a great test for the Town defence with Matty, Alfie, Ryan and Oscar standing firm and holding out until the 15th minute when eventually the deadlock was broken with a calm finish from their striker. Dereham showed determination and the tackles kept on going in only for the ball to break for the away team right on half-time to make it 2-0. In the second half Krisztian tried his hand in goal only to pick the ball out of the net another five times. However this could have been a lot more if it wasn't for him coming off his line and some excellent reaction saves and for Town's defence battling away to keep the score down. Final score 0-7, MOM: Alfie.

Dereham Wanderers U13 Girls took on Brandon Lasses in a physical game. The hosts put on early pressure with some good passing splitting the Dereham defence at times but the final ball was not right or new keeper Chloe made some good saves.Dereham's front two of Rochy and Laura made plenty of runs towards goal but were penned back by some strong defending. Brandon opened the scoring and soon got a second after a short goal-kick. Dereham never gave up and Laura made a good run but the keeper saved well. A third goal from Brandon was scored after Chloe spilt a shot and they were first on the ball to put it into the net. Laura pulled one back on the stroke of half-time to make it 3-1. In the second half Brandon increased their lead with a lob over Drew who had taken over in goal. Erren was working hard in defence and also made some good runs forward trying to pull a goal back. Brandon then scored a fifth. The Dereham girls never gave up and got a second goal from a corner with Natalie getting her third goal of the season. Final Score 5-2. Team: Chloe, Drew, Erren, Saskia, Pheobe, Natalie, Millie, Katie, Laura and Rochy. GotM was Chloe, opposition GotM was Laura.

Fakenham Town U12s played host to St Andrews and despite the fact that the teams are at opposite ends of the league table this wasn't obvious during the early exchanges. It was in fact the visitors who opened the scoring when the home side failed to clear a free-kick and the loose ball was dispatched into the top corner. The Fakenham equaliser came from a somewhat unlikely source when Thomas scored a rare headed goal directly from a corner. Ben H then got himself on the scoresheet with a couple of simple finishes to put his side in the lead and then further goals were added before the break through Aaron and two from Reece. Half-time 6-1.

A reshuffle at the interval was always going to mean that the second half would be a little disjointed but Josh soon added a couple of goals. St Andrews remained committed throughout and did break through a couple of times but on each occasion Jamie denied their strikers with good saves. At the other end Charlie then took centre stage with a quick fire hat-trick and not to be out done Ben H completed his own hat-trick late on.

Final score 12-1

Most Read

Team: Jamie, Jack, Matthew, Josh, Rahul, George, Reece, Aaron, Thomas, Ben H, Ben J, Charlie, Kai and Dominic.

Swanton Morley Blacks U11 played Heigham Park in the SNYFL Championship, the team was Sam W, Joe, Jacob, Jordan, Jake, Josh, Sam S, Ashley, Zak, Liam, Connor and Harry. Heigham Park almost scored twice in the first five minutes but good goalkeeping from Sam W kept the score level. Zak and Ashley soon got back control of the match and created chances for Liam. Swanton Morley could have opened the scoring when a penalty was awarded but the Heigham Park goalkeeper made a good save. The first goal came soon after from a corner, when Ashley finished well after controlling the ball in a tight space. In the second half Swanton Morley started to completely dominate as Josh was his usual combative self. Swanton Morley extended their lead when Liam took the ball from the halfway line and ran at the Heigham defence, before finishing well. They made it three when a cross from Jordan on the right gave Connor the opportunity to finish well from 12 yards. Heigham Park then got a goal back to make the score 3-1. Connor, Jake and Sam S in midfield battled well against the Heigham Midfield and combined to create a chance for Connor which he took very well to score his second of the game and Swanton Morley's fourth. Man of the Match: Ashley. Manager's Man of the Match: Connor

Mattishall U14s 4 Wymondham U14 3

Mattishall were immediately on top creating a number of gilt-edged chances which could have seen them out of sight if they had been a little sharper with their finishing. The home team were stunned as they conceded two sloppy goals in quick succession after six minutes. This is happening too regularly and yet again provided a stern test of the team's character. Mattishall re-grouped and some straight-talking among the players saw them regain control of the game. Alex grabbed a much needed goal on the 10 minute mark and then delivered a fine corner-kick which Brendan headed home to level the scores after 15 minutes. Wymondham won a free-kick 10 minutes later and a great strike from 25 yards saw them take the lead again which they held until the half-time break.

The second half saw the home team dominate early on as they began to play the sort of passing football which they are capable of and Matty G executed a fine finish after 15 minutes to level the scores again. Mattishall had the bit between their teeth now and only an inspired display from Wymondham's keeper kept them at bay, until Dec strode forward from midfield and smashed in the goal which would prove to be the match winner. MoM contenders were Ryan, Brendan and Dec but the majority vote was for Ryan who excelled in his first game at centre-half with a superb display.

Dereham U12s visited Sprowston last Sunday in what turned out to be a tough encounter. Dereham started brightly with Marcus going close in the first minute. The first half was tightly fought with little goalmouth action. Sprowston came closest to an opener when a great shot from distance was brilliantly saved by Harry. The incoming corner was hit against the post. Dereham rallied late in the half winning several corners that were expertly put in by Jake but Sprowston defended well.

Dereham dominated the second half and started to create plenty of chances and a goal looked sure to come. In an exciting final 20 minutes Dereham laid siege to Sprowston's goal. The ball was constantly pumped into the box with the best chances falling to Harry, Logan, Jake and Will. But as hard as Dereham tried they couldn't put the ball away.

Great defending and a big dose of good luck for Sprowston meant the points were shared in a game that was there for the taking. Final score 0-0.