A look at history
This year's Norfolk History Fair at Gressenhall Farm and Workhouse has lots on offer from armoured knights to working steam engines.The event is on Bank Holiday Monday, May 26.
This year's Norfolk History Fair at Gressenhall Farm and Workhouse has lots on offer from armoured knights to working steam engines.
The event is on Bank Holiday Monday, May 26.
The knights will give dramatic displays of their skills in archery and combat and answer questions on their authentic armour and weapons. Other medieval characters will demonstrate their trades in a tented “village” where visitors can enjoy the atmosphere of the fourteenth century.
Adding to the fun, there's also medieval story telling and re-enactments of life in Roman Norfolk. And in the farmhouse kitchen, the museum's cookery expert will demonstrate Victorian recipes.
The event showcases the work of more than 50 history groups and organisations, with displays around the workhouse building and courtyard. Visitors can meet local historians from their area and get tips about researching their family tree from Norfolk's family history groups.
Keen history buffs can also see behind the scenes of Gressenhall's own library with its important collections of documents and photographs.
- 1 Social club to host beer festival in memory of beloved former chairman
- 2 Dereham barbershop named as one of UK's top 20
- 3 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 4 Ex-military police officer elected as Dereham's new mayor
- 5 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 6 Drivers slammed for parking outside centre for people with disabilities
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Magpies moved to Midlands league for 2022/23 season
- 9 Dereham boss ignoring favourites tag ahead of cup final
- 10 Heritage railway plans running days to celebrate Queen's Jubilee
The museum and farm are open as usual, including the Mardler's Rest Café and the Woodland Adventure Playground.
This event is part of Museums and Galleries Month, a UK wide celebration of museums and galleries.
Opening Times: Monday - Sunday 10am - 5pm. Admission: Adults £7.90, Concessions £6.70, Children (4-16) £5.60, under 4s free. Discounts for families and groups. Admission includes entry to the exhibition, museum, farm and grounds.
Tel: 01362 860563