Duchess of Sutherland set to steam back to Norfolk this summer
- Credit: IAN BURT
The Duchess of Sutherland is returning to Norfolk this summer as a guest of the Mid Norfolk Railway at its 2015 Summer Steam Gala.
The event will be held on the weekend of June 19 to 21 and the Duchess will be working alongside the heritage railway's own steam loco Furness Railway No.10 'Cumbria'.
Organisers have also just confirmed small Prairie 5542 – '4575' class tank locomotive, owned by the Locomotive 5542 Limited, will also be taking part at the gala, courtesy of the Gloucestershire & Warwickshire Railway. It returned to steam again in October 2002 for the first time in over 40 years.
It is hoped that a fourth steam loco will also be confirmed ahead of the event.
An intensive timetable will operate throughout the weekend, including shuttles on the northern section to Hoe, where passengers can see first hand the progress being made to extend north to North Elmham.
On the Saturday and Sunday Yaxham Light Railway will be open from 10am to 5pm allowing visitors to drive a narrow gauge steam locomotive for £5.
A selection of real ales will be available throughout the weekend from Grain Brewery, served from cask on board the trains from the buffet car.
- 1 Village pub reopens for the first time in four years
- 2 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 3 A47 clears following long delays after four-vehicle crash
- 4 Stunning 'Lady of the Wood' carved statue revealed at park
- 5 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 6 12 missing Norfolk people feature in new hi-tech campaign
- 7 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 8 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 9 All aboard for a 'street party atmosphere' at railway's jubilee events
- 10 Norfolk Tory MP calls for 'serious changes' following Sue Gray report
For more information, timetables and ticket prices visit the website www.mnr.org.uk or telephone 01362 690633.