Duchess of Sutherland set to steam back to Norfolk this summer
- Credit: IAN BURT
The Duchess of Sutherland is returning to Norfolk this summer as a guest of the Mid Norfolk Railway at its 2015 Summer Steam Gala.
The event will be held on the weekend of June 19 to 21 and the Duchess will be working alongside the heritage railway's own steam loco Furness Railway No.10 'Cumbria'.
Organisers have also just confirmed small Prairie 5542 – '4575' class tank locomotive, owned by the Locomotive 5542 Limited, will also be taking part at the gala, courtesy of the Gloucestershire & Warwickshire Railway. It returned to steam again in October 2002 for the first time in over 40 years.
It is hoped that a fourth steam loco will also be confirmed ahead of the event.
An intensive timetable will operate throughout the weekend, including shuttles on the northern section to Hoe, where passengers can see first hand the progress being made to extend north to North Elmham.
On the Saturday and Sunday Yaxham Light Railway will be open from 10am to 5pm allowing visitors to drive a narrow gauge steam locomotive for £5.
A selection of real ales will be available throughout the weekend from Grain Brewery, served from cask on board the trains from the buffet car.
- 1 'My life has been plagued by fly-tipping for a year - I need it to stop'
- 2 Heavy winds set to hit Norfolk as yellow weather warning issued
- 3 Wind turbines, cables and trenches: Is another way possible?
- 4 Where can I see Santa on his sleigh in Breckland this Christmas?
- 5 Countryfile to highlight controversial Norfolk road scheme
- 6 Norfolk scams: Washing machine fraudsters and fake WhatsApp messages
- 7 Delays after BMW crashes into tree on A47
- 8 Cast your votes in the Times Awards 2021
- 9 Virus expert predicts Omicron will start 'outcompeting' Delta
- 10 Pig farmer's invention wins national innovation award
For more information, timetables and ticket prices visit the website www.mnr.org.uk or telephone 01362 690633.