Duchess of Sutherland set to steam back to Norfolk this summer
- Credit: IAN BURT
The Duchess of Sutherland is returning to Norfolk this summer as a guest of the Mid Norfolk Railway at its 2015 Summer Steam Gala.
The event will be held on the weekend of June 19 to 21 and the Duchess will be working alongside the heritage railway's own steam loco Furness Railway No.10 'Cumbria'.
Organisers have also just confirmed small Prairie 5542 – '4575' class tank locomotive, owned by the Locomotive 5542 Limited, will also be taking part at the gala, courtesy of the Gloucestershire & Warwickshire Railway. It returned to steam again in October 2002 for the first time in over 40 years.
It is hoped that a fourth steam loco will also be confirmed ahead of the event.
An intensive timetable will operate throughout the weekend, including shuttles on the northern section to Hoe, where passengers can see first hand the progress being made to extend north to North Elmham.
You may also want to watch:
On the Saturday and Sunday Yaxham Light Railway will be open from 10am to 5pm allowing visitors to drive a narrow gauge steam locomotive for £5.
A selection of real ales will be available throughout the weekend from Grain Brewery, served from cask on board the trains from the buffet car.
- 1 Man in court charged with murder of his wife
- 2 Youths scale roof in Norfolk town centre
- 3 Your Say - The best places to eat and drink in Dereham
- 4 Restoration work begins on 500-year-old cottage
- 5 'She was so warm' - Daughter's tribute to town's oldest resident
- 6 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 7 Man appears in court over murder of woman, 37
- 8 Mum left overwhelmed as daughter's Disneyland dream becomes reality
- 9 Police name murder victim, who died of 'severe head injury'
- 10 Council splashes out £780,000 on agile working
For more information, timetables and ticket prices visit the website www.mnr.org.uk or telephone 01362 690633.