Get ready for wheelie good fun at Gressenhall’s Grand Fete
- Credit: Archant
Wheels are being polished, chassis strengthened and helmets dusted down - it can only mean one thing ... the annual Soap Box Derby at Gressenhall's Grand Fete.
The popular and always keenly-contested race will once again take place as part of an afternoon of fun and games on The Green on Saturday, May 31, with the first race at 3pm.
Competitors need to build a two-man crewed non-motorised soap box for a death-defying race around The Green! There are various entry categories and all ages can enter with fabulous prizes on offer for the winners.
The fete itself starts at 1.30pm with all the usual stalls including Punch and Judy show, bouncy castle, donkey rides, tea tent, barbecue, vintage vehicles, plants, cakes, face painting, tombolas, competitions, coconut shy and much more.
This year there is a scarecrow competition with the theme of Things That Happened in 1914, sponsored by Norfolk Games & Frames. Scarecrows are to be displayed in gardens around the village.
You may also want to watch:
There is also a scarecrow walk or cycle around the gardens on Friday, May 30, meeting at The Swan at 7pm.
The Fete finishes at 5pm but from 7pm there is evening entertainment with All Things Country, followed by Chris & Ben and local band Groovejam, with a hog roast, barbecue and beer tent.
- 1 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 2 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 3 Man charged with arson after blaze ripped through flat and gardens
- 4 Early hours blaze tears through flat and gardens
- 5 Rescue centre saw demand for dogs jump 400pc during lockdown
- 6 Fears raised over Western Link surveying work
- 7 Farm enjoying another bumper year for pumpkin picking
- 8 Thousands of pounds given to surgery in Lorraine's memory
- 9 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 10 Man in 80s from Norfolk found not guilty of historic sexual offences
- If anyone can donate cakes, plants, books or bric-a-brac please contact Molly Crisp on 01362 860488 or 07909 931279 to arrange to bring them either on the day or the day before.
- For an entry form for the Soap Box Derby contact Andy Bush on 01362 869129 or Kevin Daniells on 01362 860984 or pick up an entry form from Gressenhall post office.
- Judging for the scarecrow competition takes place on Friday, May 30 from 7pm, entry forms from Gressenhall post office or Mike on 01362 691921 or email email@example.com.
Are you holding a village event? Email firstname.lastname@example.org