Get ready for wheelie good fun at Gressenhall’s Grand Fete
- Credit: Archant
Wheels are being polished, chassis strengthened and helmets dusted down - it can only mean one thing ... the annual Soap Box Derby at Gressenhall's Grand Fete.
The popular and always keenly-contested race will once again take place as part of an afternoon of fun and games on The Green on Saturday, May 31, with the first race at 3pm.
Competitors need to build a two-man crewed non-motorised soap box for a death-defying race around The Green! There are various entry categories and all ages can enter with fabulous prizes on offer for the winners.
The fete itself starts at 1.30pm with all the usual stalls including Punch and Judy show, bouncy castle, donkey rides, tea tent, barbecue, vintage vehicles, plants, cakes, face painting, tombolas, competitions, coconut shy and much more.
This year there is a scarecrow competition with the theme of Things That Happened in 1914, sponsored by Norfolk Games & Frames. Scarecrows are to be displayed in gardens around the village.
You may also want to watch:
There is also a scarecrow walk or cycle around the gardens on Friday, May 30, meeting at The Swan at 7pm.
The Fete finishes at 5pm but from 7pm there is evening entertainment with All Things Country, followed by Chris & Ben and local band Groovejam, with a hog roast, barbecue and beer tent.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 3 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 4 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 5 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 6 Mum starts new year with 2,021-squat charity challenge
- 7 Dereham, Blofield and Belton are the latest coronavirus infection hotspots
- 8 Council says it's in public interest to keep golf resort details secret
- 9 'I will not resign,' says councillor who broke Covid isolation
- 10 Analysis: Is lockdown finally working in Norfolk?
- If anyone can donate cakes, plants, books or bric-a-brac please contact Molly Crisp on 01362 860488 or 07909 931279 to arrange to bring them either on the day or the day before.
- For an entry form for the Soap Box Derby contact Andy Bush on 01362 869129 or Kevin Daniells on 01362 860984 or pick up an entry form from Gressenhall post office.
- Judging for the scarecrow competition takes place on Friday, May 30 from 7pm, entry forms from Gressenhall post office or Mike on 01362 691921 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you holding a village event? Email email@example.com