Set sail for panto fun in Dereham
If you like your pantomime full of colour, slick and witty and a song and dance around every corner then Dereham Theatre Company's production of Robinson Crusoe and the Pirates has just about everything you could wish for.
As ever this talented company has pulled off another professional and thoroughly enjoyable show and a full house at yesterday's matinee proves what an attraction it is for the people of Dereham and surrounding area.
The Memorial Hall also looked fabulous and the cast made the most of its newly renovated surroundings, with a few pyrotechnics thrown in and some clever lighting.
As we were fortunate enough to be sitting in the front row we were also able to really appreciate the musicality of the show with musical director Ian Futers on keyboards and Matthew Crittenden on percussion.
The choreography was also fabulous as always thanks to Amy Futers - those dancers had to be pretty fit - and it was good to see some of the songs going to the younger members of the cast although special mention must go to the leading lady Rachael Bird whose voice was as good as any in a professional pantomime.
You may also want to watch:
The costume department excelled themselves and with a setting of Brazil and tropical islands they really went to town creating a kaleidoscope of colour.
The jokes may have been corny at times, but that is surely just what you want from a pantomime, but all delivered with great timing and a combination of old and new songs gave everyone in the audience, old and young, something to sing along to.
- 1 Town thrilled by crafters' dazzling knitted creations
- 2 Staff shortages force closure of pharmacy
- 3 'Is this a wind up?' - Artist's shock as Delia buys 101 of his paintings
- 4 Beauty giveaway and Euro 2020 help sees £20,000 raised for Logan's surgery
- 5 Full steam ahead for track renewal work on railway
- 6 'Very emotional' - Joy as town's social centre reopens
- 7 Hunt for man in connection with drug dealing
- 8 Church with 'features to get excited about' for sale for £80,000
- 9 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 10 Heavy rain and thunder set to continue with weather warnings in place
It was a really enjoyable afternoon spent in good company and I would recommend to anyone making Dereham Theatre Company's pantomime part of your post-Christmas ritual.
* The show runs until Saturday, January 5 - more details and to get any remaining tickets at www.dosoc.co.uk or call 01362 691569.