Wells hosts tribute to Mervyn Peake
AN evening featuring the life and work of artist, writer and poet Mervyn Peake takes place in Wells later this month.The Granary Theatre in Staithe Street will host a talk by his son Sebastian, presented by poetry group Poetry-next-the-sea, which takes place at 7.
AN evening featuring the life and work of artist, writer and poet Mervyn Peake takes place in Wells later this month.
The Granary Theatre in Staithe Street will host a talk by his son Sebastian, presented by poetry group Poetry-next-the-sea, which takes place at 7.30pm on Thursday, January 29.
Peak (1911-1968), artist, illustrator, writer and poet is famous for his Gormenghast trilogy of novels. Son Sebastian Peake is giving an illustrated talk about a true 20th century original. Tickets cost �7 and can be booked in advance by phoning 01328 855545, or purchased on the door.
Carcanet Press published Peake's Collected Poems last year , marking the 40th anniversary of his death. The poems reveal him as a compelling poet, passionately engaged with current events, from unemployment in the 1930s to the horrors of the London Blitz.
You may also want to watch:
Peake was also a fine artist, and an illustrator of his own writing, and that of others. As an illustrator, his range extended from drawings for children's books, to the images produced for the Gormenghast trilogy.
The talk is part of Poetry-next-the-Sea's programme of literary events.
- 1 Tributes paid to talented Dereham golfer Richard Wilson
- 2 New gym set to open at town's business park
- 3 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 4 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 5 New signs to 'put Dereham on the map' are unveiled
- 6 Norfolk troops kill terrorists in Mali after coming under attack
- 7 Has Dereham started its Christmas shopping early?
- 8 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 9 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 10 Stunning new show at Houghton Hall set to immerse you into a meditative state