Youth theatre company delights with Return to the Forbidden Planet
- Credit: Archant
The fabulous 1950s and old-school science fiction met at light speed in a youth drama group's latest production.
Dereham Operatic Society Youth Theatre Company (DOSYTCo) hosted a successful four-day run of Return to the Forbidden Planet, a jukebox musical originally billed as 'Shakespeare's forgotten rock and roll masterpiece'.
Youngsters aged between nine and 18 took the stage at the town's Memorial Hall for the production, which is based on Shakespeare's The Tempest and the 1956 classic sci-fi film Forbidden Planet.
Cast members were dressed in the glamorous costumes of the 1950s, with the addition of a couple of out-of-this-world characters.
The musical features rock 'n' roll hits of the Fifties and Sixties such as Great Balls of Fire, The Monster Mash and Good Vibrations.
You may also want to watch:
The theatre company will now start preparing for its autumn musical, Rent, which will run from October 1-5.
The company's annual general meeting, its 71st, will take place on April 29 at The Studio.
- 1 Plans for wild animals on 100-home development
- 2 Updated information following serious assault in Dereham
- 3 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 4 Man denies attacking brother with wheel brace
- 5 From lockdown hobby to high street shop - New Fakenham crafts store opens
- 6 Pub reopens with brand new wine boutique
- 7 'Heartbroken' - Shock after village play area ‘trashed’ by graffiti vandals
- 8 Theatre fans rejoice! Local actors rehearsing new comedy play
- 9 'Exciting and adventurous' - How aboutDereham works for our community
- 10 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes